Everything you need to know about Stormgate, summarized.
What is Stormgate?
A free-to-play RTS for PC, with 1v1, 3v3, and co-op vs AI, to be released in 2024.
- Stormgate is a Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game for PC.
- The game is under development, with closed testing starting in July 2023 and expected to be released in 2024.
- The game will be free-to-play and initially available on Steam.
- You can play 1v1, 3v3, and co-op vs AI with several factions; the ‘Human Resistance’ and ‘Demon Invaders’ are confirmed.
- The game is set in the future, featuring sci-fi elements mixed with fantasy. It requires you to build bases, gather resources, and fight your enemies.
Who is Developing Stormgate?
Frost Giant Studios, a team of former StarCraft II, Warcraft 3, and other Blizzard veterans.
- Stormgate is being developed by Frost Giant Studios, a new game studio founded in 2020 by Tim Morten (formerly StarCraft II and Command & Conquer) and Tim Campbell (Wasteland 3, Warcraft III), together with other former Blizzard veterans.
- The studio received around $35 million in funding, the majority coming from Kakao Games, with additional funding from Riot Games, 1Up Ventures, Griffin Gaming Partners, and more.
When Can I Play Stormgate?
Closed testing will start in July 2023. The game is expected to be released in 2024.
- Closed testing will start in July 2023, with a pre-alpha phase and ending with a beta phase that will extend into 2024.
- To participate in the closed testing, you need to sign up on the website. All who signed up will be eligible for an invite picked randomly, though not guaranteed to get in.
- Early phases will focus on core functionality, 1v1, and the Human Resistance, with other factions and modes added later.
- The closed testing, especially early phases, will likely be under NDA with no streaming or in-game screenshots allowed.
What Will the Game Be Like?
With several factions set in the future, you will build bases, gather resources, and fight your enemies.
- The game is set in humanity’s future, featuring sci-fi elements mixed with fantasy and featuring several game modes.
- There’s a heavy focus on social modes, like 3-player co-op vs AI, team-based 3v3 and 1v1 ladder, as well as a single-player campaign.
- There will be at least 3 playable factions; the ‘Human Resistance’ and ‘Demon Invaders’ are confirmed.
- You will build bases, gather resources, and fight your enemies.
What About Esports?
Stormgate positions itself as ‘Next-Generation Esport’ with in-game tournaments, mass spectating, and quick replays.
- Frost Giant Studios believes in grass-root tournaments and aims to lower barriers for players to organize and join tournaments in-game.
- There will be a focus on both top-level 1v1 competition and team-based 3v3 competition.
- The plan is to organize 3 seasons each year, directly tied to new content releases, consisting of qualifiers, playoffs, and seasonal finals.
What Technology is Used?
The game is built on top of Unreal Engine, with a custom engine called Snowplay for the RTS aspects.
- Snowplay is built by Frost Giant Studios to create a deterministic and snappy engine.
- Specifically, it will allow for mass spectating, quick replays, and a low latency experience for players.
Will There Be Modding and User Generated Content?
The game is built on top of Unreal Engine, allowing extensive modding and user generated content.
- At some point, there will be a level editor, allowing you to create your own maps.
- The game is built on top of Unreal Engine, allowing modders with similar experience to create high-quality mods.
- Frost Giant Studios is planning to provide a platform for players to “seamlessly share content with each other”.